Castor oil is one of the most unique plant oils, with a distinctive chemical structure that lends itself to a variety of end products. Derivatives based on castor oil are in increasing demand across a number of sectors globally, and in India.
Opportunities are present across a variety of industrial sectors that include pharmaceuticals, polymers, greases and lubricants, food ingredients, and more.
Market Potential & Highlights
- India is the world’s largest producer of castor oil, supplying over 70% of the world’s castor oil
- EAI estimates the total value for emerging castor oil-based derivatives to be over $1 billion worldwide by 2015 and over $125 million in India
- Key sectors that are emerging for castor based derivatives are polyamides (nylon), polyurethane foam, other engineering plastics, and castor based cosmetics, deodorants, and perfumes
- In addition, a number of specialty chemicals niches are emerging where castor oil is used as the base feedstock
- With interest in bioplastics and biopolymers on the increase, use of castor oil as feedstock for these biomaterials is fast gaining currency
- Higher profit margin in derivatives
- Government mandates for eco-friendly sources
- Consumer demand
Entrepreneurs who could consider this sector
- By background
- Chemical Engineering
- Existing castor oil producers or dealers
- By access to markets
- Having or building networks with industries that can use these derivatives and are required to green their supply chain
- Ability to build an export business for derivatives, as a significant market exists abroad
How Can EAI Assist You in Entering this Market?
EAI’s consulting team can work with you in providing you key data, insights, and strategies that will enable you to take critical decisions on market entry
- In-depth understanding of the various castor oil derivative opportunities
- Profitability and financial attractiveness of the various sectors/opportunities
- Current and future demand and supply characteristics of the various product possibilities
- Key consumer segments for the prominent opportunities
- SWOT analysis for the attractive opportunities
- Technical feasibility study for manufacturing these derivatives in India
- Key market players in India and worldwide, and their strengths and weaknesses
- EAI is one of the most acclaimed consulting companies in India for the renewable energy sector
- EAI’s focus is on providing market-facing and action-oriented consulting
- EAI has already successfully assisted many companies and entrepreneurs in their diversification and market entry efforts for the renewable energy sector
- Our team has exceptional industry contacts across the entire renewable energy and cleantech spectrum in India
- Our biotech team has exceptional acquaintance with the castor based products sector, as we also operate one of the world’s premier castor oil web resources, castoroil.in
- Our research team has published some of the world’s leading industry reports for the castor oil based value added products domain – the Comprehensive Castor Oil Report
- Our consulting team has also provided research and strategic consulting support to leading companies such as Reliance Industries and La Farge in their efforts in bio-products and bio-derivatives.
Get in touch with our consulting team by sending brief details of your requirements and profile
If you are interested in taking EAI’s assistance in exploring the castor oil-based derivative opportunities, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief background about yourself and your company, and we will get in touch with you.
We thank you for your interest.
EAI (Energy Alternatives India) is India’s leading renewable energy research, consulting, and catalysis firm. EAI runs India’s largest renewable energy website (Eai.in), the country’s largest renewable energy newsletter (EAI Daily) and India’s largest renewable energy community (EAI Club).
EAI’s consulting team has assisted global and Indian blue chip companies in their sustainability efforts. Our consulting clients include the World Bank, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Reliance, La Farge, Vedanta, Tamil Nadu & Karnataka State Governments, MNRE, and more.
The research team has published many globally acclaimed reports across the entire sustainability spectrum. Customers for these reports include over 75 companies from Fortune 500 and over 10 from Fortune 100. The bio-division of EAI runs the world’s foremost resource on algae biofuels, Oilgae and a dedicated resource on deriving sustainable materials from castor oil, CastorOil.in
EAI is headquartered in Chennai, India.
More about EAI from www.eai.in
Our specialized consulting division provides assistance in market research & business intelligence, market potential analysis, strategy consulting, technology vendor/supplier finder, technology & business due diligence, M&A assistance and more for the complete clean energy, environment and sustainability value chain.
We have assisted a range of stakeholders, small businesses/SMEs, startups, large corporations, state and central government, venture capital companies, private equity firms, investment banks, NGOs and more. Send a note to email@example.com if you wish to take our consulting help.
Our specialized consulting has benefitted clients all across India and select countries outside:
We has provided consulting & industry research assistance across India, having clients who have benefitted from our consulting or research from the following cities:
Ahmedabad | Amravati | Amritsar | Asansol | Aurangabad | Bangalore (Bengaluru) | Belgaum | Bhavnagar | Bhopal | Bhubaneswar | Bikaner | Chandigarh | Chennai (Madras) | Coimbatore | Cuttack | Dehradun | Delhi | Dhanbad | Durgapur | Faridabad | Firozabad | Gandhinagar | Gangtok | Ghaziabad | Guntur | Gurgaon | Guwahati | Gwalior | Hyderabad | Indore | Jabalpur | Jaipur | Jalandhar | Jalgaon | Jammu | Jamnagar | Jamshedpur | Jodhpur | Kalyan | Kanpur | Kochi (Cochin) | Kolhapur | Kolkata (Calcutta) | Kota | Kozhikode | Lucknow | Ludhiana | Madurai | Mangalore | Meerut | Mumbai (Bombay) | Mysore (Mysuru)| Nagpur | Nashik | Navi Mumbai | Nellore | Noida | Patna | Pimpri & Chinchwad | Pune | Raipur | Rajkot | Ranchi | Salem | Sangli | Solapur | Surat | Thane | Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) | Tiruchirapally (Trichy) | Udaipur | Vadodara (Baroda) | Vijayawada | Vishakapatnam | Warangal
Countries worldwide where we have assisted clients through research reports or consulting
Australia | Austria | Bahrain | Belgium | Brazil | Canada | Chile | China | Croatia | Czech Republic | Denmark | Estonia | Finland | France | Germany | Hong Kong | Hungary | Greece | Iceland | India | Indonesia | Ireland | Israel | Italy | Japan | Kuwait | Latvia | Lithuania | Luxembourg | Malaysia | Malta | Mexico | Netherlands | New Zealand | Norway | Portugal | Republic of Korea (South Korea) | Russia | Saudi Arabia | Singapore | Slovakia | Slovenia | South Africa | Spain | Sweden | Switzerland | Thailand | Tunisia | Turkey | United Kingdom (UK) | United States of America (USA)
Specific Domains We Operate in
Solar PV– Rooftop Solar | Residential Rooftop Solar | Commercial & Industrial Rooftop Solar | Ground Mounted Solar Farms | Solar Farm Operations & Maintenance | Solar Farm Monitoring & Control | Solar Power Integration with Grid | Offgrid Solar | Solar Water Pumps | Solar Street Lights | Off-grid Solar Homes ||| Solar PV Components – Solar Trackers | Single Axis Solar Trackers | Dual Axis Solar Trackers | Solar Inverters | Solar Power Plant Central Inverter | Solar Power Plant String Inverter | Solar Power Plant Micro-Inverter | Solar PV Mounting Structures | Solar Power Plant Monitoring & Control Systems | Solar PV Wafers | Solar PV Cells | Monocrystalline Solar Cells | Polycrystalline Solar Cells | Thin Film Solar Cells | Bifacial Solar Cells | Solar Modules/Panels | Solar Panel Backsheets | Solar Panel Aluminium Frames | Solar Panel Encapsulants | Building Integrated Solar PV | Solar PV Storage | Concentrating Solar PV |
Solar Thermal – Low-Temperature Solar Thermal | Solar Water Heating | Solar Cooking | Solar Drying | Medium & High Temperature Solar Thermal | Medium Temperature Commercial & Industrial Heating Using Solar Thermal | High Temperature Industrial Heating Using Concentrated Solar Thermal | Concentrating Solar Power | Storage for Concentrating Solar Power | Fresnel Lens based Concentrating Solar Power | Power Tower based Concentrating Solar Power | Parabolic Trough based Concentrating Solar Power | Dish based Concentrating Solar Power | Hybrid Solar Energy | Solar Wind Hybrid | Solar Biomass Hybrid | Solar PV / Thermal Hybrid
Bio-energy for Heating – Combustion-based Biomass Heating | Gasification-based Biomass Heating | Anaerobic Digestion based Biomass Heating
Bio-energy for Power – Combustion-based Biomass Power | Gasification-based Biomass Power | Anaerobic Digestion based Biomass Power | Biomass Combined Heating & Power | CHP Boilers for Biomass | Operations & Maintenance for Biomass-based Energy Plants | Biomass Storage | Biomass Pre-processing | Biomass Ash Management,
Bio-energy for Transportation – Ethanol | First Generation Ethanol | Second Generation Cellulosic Ethanol | Biodiesel | Biodiesel through Transesterification | Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil – HVO | Bio-butanol | Bio-methanol | Bio-CNG | Aviation Biofuels
Other Bio-energy – Biogas | Syngas
Bio-Energy Crops – First Generation Bio-energy Feedstock | Agricultural Waste Feedstock | Dedicated Energy Crops | Perennial Biomass Bio-energy Feedstock | Prominent Biomass Feedstock for Heating & Power | Sawdust for Heating & Power Generation | Rice Husk for Heating & Power Generation | Paddy Straw for Heating & Power Generation | Bagasse for Heating & Power Generation | Julieflora for Heating & Power Generation | Bamboo for Heating & Power Generation
Electrical Storage – Capacitors | Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage | Chemical Storage | Hydrogen Storage | Fuel Cells
Electrochemical Storage – Battery | Lead Acid Battery | Lithium Ion Battery | Emerging Battery Types | Sodium Sulfur Battery | Solid State Batteries | Battery Management Systems
Mechanical Storage – Pumped Hydro Energy Storage | Flywheel Energy Storage | Compressed Air Energy Storage
Sustainable Transport – Two Wheelers | Bicycles | Electric Bicycles | Electric Motorbikes | Electric Scooters | Electric Three Wheelers | Sustainable Car Transport | Electric & Hybrid Electric Cars | Battery-based Electric Cars | Hybrid Electric Cars | Plug-in Hybrid Electric Cars | Fuel Cell Electric Cars | Electric Light Commercial Vehicles | Electric Mini Trucks & Vans | Electric Buses | Fuel Cell Buses | Electric Heavy Commercial Vehicles | Electric Trucks | Sustainable Rail Transport | Sustainable Aviation | Fuel Cell Vehicles | Sustainable Transport Infrastructure | EV Charging Infrastructure | DC Charging for Electric Vehicles | AC Charging for Electric Vehicles | Battery Swap Stations for Electric Vehicles | Hydrogen Fueling Infrastructure | Sustainable Transport Fuels and Fuel Standards
Sustainable Transport Fuels – Biodiesel | Ethanol | Bio-CNG | Other Biomass-based Liquid Fuels | Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil – HVO