Products and solutions based on micro and macro algae present exciting opportunities globally, and in India. Opportunities are present across a variety of industrial sectors that include nutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals, animal and fish feed, biopolymers, specialty chemicals, biofuels and more.
Market Potential & Highlights
- EAI estimates the total value for algae-based products and solutions to be over $25 billion worldwide by 2015 and over $1.5 billion in India
- Algae based nutraceuticals market is currently about $1.4 billion globally, and will double to over $2.5 billion by 2018
- A number of specialty chemical niches are emerging where algae are used as the base feedstock
- Antioxidants based on algae, such as Astaxanthin, can fetch a price as high as $12,000 per Kg! Products such as these are in short supply in the global market
- In India, there has been increasing demand for algae based products from the nutraceuticals (especially, spirulina) and animal/fish feed markets
- With interest in bioplastics and biopolymers on the increase, use of algae as feedstock for these biomaterials is fast gaining currency
- Algae are also emerging as an interesting bio-remediation agent,for treating waste water and for sequestering CO2 from power plants
- Significant progress in recent R&D
- Superiority of algae based products and solutions
- Increasing top down and bottom up eco-consciousness in industrial sector
Entrepreneurs who could consider this sector
- By background
- By access to markets
- Food ingredients
- Fish and cattle food
- Waste water treatment
- Export markets
- High-end nutra/pharmaceuticals
- Specialty chemicals
- By experience – Most markets will be B2B; solutions marketing expertise will be an advantage
How Can EAI Assist You in Entering this Market?
EAI’s consulting team can work with you in providing you key data, insights, and strategies that will enable you to understand the algae-products market much better and take critical decisions on market entry
- In-depth understanding of the various emerging product opportunities
- Profitability and financial attractiveness of the various sectors/opportunities
- Current and future demand and supply characteristics of the various product possibilities
- Key consumer segments for the prominent opportunities
- SWOT analysis for the attractive opportunities
- Technical feasibility study for manufacturing these value added products in India
- Key market players in India and worldwide, and their strengths and weaknesses
- EAI is one of the most acclaimed consulting companies in India for the renewable energy sector
- EAI’s focus is on providing market-facing and action-oriented consulting
- EAI has already successfully assisted many companies and entrepreneurs in their diversification and market entry efforts for the renewable energy sector
- Our team has exceptional industry contacts across the entire renewable energy and cleantech spectrum in India
- Our biotech team has exceptional acquaintance with the algae based products sector, as we also operate one of the world’s premier algae products web resources, Oilgae. Our team has also published some of the world’s leading industry reports for the algae based value added products domain
- Our biotech team has also provided research and strategic consulting support to leading companies such as Reliance Industries and La Farge in their efforts in algae to value added products
If you are interested in taking EAI’s assistance in exploring the algae-based product and solution opportunities, please send a note to email@example.com with a brief background about yourself and your company, and we will get in touch with you.
We thank you for your interest.
EAI (Energy Alternatives India) is India’s leading renewable energy research, consulting, and catalysis firm. EAI runs India’s largest renewable energy website (Eai.in), the country’s largest renewable energy newsletter (EAI Daily) and India’s largest renewable energy community (EAI Club).
EAI’s consulting team has assisted global and Indian blue chip companies in their sustainability efforts. Our consulting clients include the World Bank, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Reliance, La Farge, Vedanta, Tamil Nadu & Karnataka State Governments, MNRE, and more.
The research team has published many globally acclaimed reports across the entire sustainability spectrum. Customers for these reports include over 75 companies from Fortune 500 and over 10 from Fortune 100. The bio-division of EAI runs the world’s foremost resource on algae biofuels, Oilgae and a dedicated resource on deriving sustainable materials from castor oil, CastorOil.in
EAI is headquartered in Chennai, India.
More about EAI from www.eai.in